Friday 29 July 2016

ODSC UK: Machine Learning Meetup in London



Yesterday was the Open Data Science July Meetup. I have been attending these meetups for about 7 months now and I am never disappointed. Every month there as one or two speakers that are real experts in their fields and I always leave with loads of action points I can take back to work.

July was no different and I got to chat with Miriam Redi, who was the speaker about the complex Machine Learning that they are working on not just a Yahoo but all over the UK. The talk was about The art of Data Visualization and can machines see the invisible. For me it was interesting to see how vision algorithms are used in visual recognition and how subjective the information can be.

One of the most interesting concepts for me and I am a beginner when it come to Machine Learning, was the characteristics that machine can see that we as humans can't. For instance the fact they can detect intangible properties of video and images like creativity of beauty. Miriam was a really engaging, knowledgeable and funny speaker who held the audience for over an hour. The questions asked were really helpful and the whole night was very interactive.

After we had a great chance to network over pizza and beer and also talk about the upcoming conference as lots of people were attending or volunteering. The community was very open and lots of ideas and questions were being thrown around over some peroni's. I got to catch up with a few people from IBM and also Lincolnshire University. All in all a great night and I can't wait for the September Meetup!

Are you searching online for data science jobs? Visit our ODSC job board, new jobs added everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment